Topics in Public Health: President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) – The Basics
December 13, 2019
This series will educate PHS health professionals about topics that are pertinent to their roles within the various agencies within the Department of Health and Human Services and other Public Health Service agencies by presenting topics that directly relate to the HHS Strategic Plan, the Secretary's Strategic Initiatives, current topics for DHHS OPDIVs who utilize PHS health professionals, and/or other topics directly related to the advancement of public health.
The goal of this seminar is to educate the audiences to have a better understanding of the importance of the PEPFAR program (the US President's Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief known as PEPFAR is a government initiative to help save the lives of those suffering from HIV / AIDS), its goals, and how generic drugs are approved and handled for products listed under this program, in which providing HIV meds around the world saving over 11.5 million lives with HIV & reducing 96% transmission to partners.
- Chahal HS, Murray JS, Shimer M, Capella P, Presto R, Valdez ML, Lurie PG. The US Food and Drug Administration’s tentative approval process and the global fight against HIV. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Dec; 20(4).
- U.S. State Department. The United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief. [cited 2019 Oct 7]. Available from: https://www.state.gov/pepfar/.
- Describe scientific evidence supporting the HHS Initiatives, Surgeon General Priorities or any other public health concern
- Explain the multi-disciplinary approach in addressing public health issues
- Identify public health concerns.
- Identify ways Public Health Professionals can impact public health issues.
- Describe the PEPFAR program and how the program is running.
- Summarize the process by which FDA’s Office of Generic Drugs (OGD) approves medications under this program.
This activity is intended for physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other public health medical professionals interested in learning more about the initiatives other advances in public health.
Lecture 1 December 13, 2019
|2:00 - 3:00 PM||President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) – The Basics||Tina Nhu, PharmD, R. Ph|
Physicians, pharmacists, nurses, pharmacist techs, and those claiming non-physician CME: participants must attest to their attendance and complete the final activity evaluation via the CE Portal (ceportal.fda.gov). For multi-day activities, participants must attest to their attendance and complete the faculty evaluation each day. Final activity evaluations must be completed within two weeks after the activity - no exceptions.
Pharmacists will need their NABP e-profile ID number as well as their DOB in MMDD format in order to claim CE credit.
Attendees have 14 days from the last day of the activity to log in, complete the required evaluation(s) and attest to your attendance to claim credit.Physicians and nurses may then view/print statement of credit. Pharmacists should log into the CPE monitor 10 weeks after the last session of the activity to obtain their CE credit.
- Nhu, Tina, PharmD, R. Ph, pharmacist, fda - nothing to disclose
- Alu, Susan, Pharm.D., Clinical Pharmacist, U.S. Public Health Service - nothing to disclose
- Begansky, Stephanie, PharmD, , BCACP, Advanced Clinical Pharmacist, IHS - nothing to disclose
- Birch-Smith, Postelle, PharmD - nothing to disclose
- Brodhead, LeAnn, PharmD, Health Insurance Specialist, CMS - nothing to disclose
- CHIN, EDWARD, Medical Officer, DNDP - nothing to disclose
- Camilli, Sara, PharmD, , BCPS, Associate Director, FDA/CDER/OSE/DPV II - nothing to disclose
- Janusziewicz, Ashlee, Pharm.D, Compounding Incidents Team Leader, FDA/CDER/OC/OUDLC - nothing to disclose
- La, Thang, PharmD, MPH, Central Triage Unit Manager, FDA/CDER/OSE/RSS - nothing to disclose
- Leung, Tamy, PharmD, MPH, BCPS, Accountable Care Organization Coordinator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid - nothing to disclose
- Lucero, Karly, RN, DNP, MSN/eD, CCHP, Regional Field Medical Coordinator, DHS - nothing to disclose
- McClain, Rena, PharmD, CMS - nothing to disclose
- Nabavian, Sadaf, Senior Regulatory Project Manager, FDA - nothing to disclose
- Wagner, Lindsay, PharmD, BCPS, Branch Chief, FDA - nothing to disclose
- khatri, Sadhna, PharmD, MPH, MS, MEd, Regulatory Officer, FDA/CDER/OCD/PASE - nothing to disclose
CE Consultation and Accreditation Team
- Bryant, Traci, M.A.T., CE Consultant, FDA/CDER/OEP/DLOD - nothing to disclose
- Giroux, Virginia, MSN, FNP-BC, Associate Director for Accreditation, FDA/CDER/OEP/DLOD - nothing to disclose
- Zawalick, Karen, CE Team Leader, FDA/CDER/OEP/DLOD - nothing to disclose
Registration is complimentary, therefore refunds are not applicable.
- This warning banner provides privacy and security notices consistent with applicable federal laws, directives, and other federal guidance for accessing this Government system, which includes (1) this computer network, (2) all computers connected to this network, and (3) all devices and storage media attached to this network or to a computer on this network.
- This system is provided for Government-authorized use only.
- Unauthorized or improper use of this system is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action and/or civil and criminal penalties.
- Personal use of social media and networking sites on this system is limited as to not interfere with official work duties and is subject to monitoring.
- By using this system, you understand and consent to the following:
- The Government may monitor, record, and audit your system usage, including usage of personal devices and email systems for official duties or to conduct HHS business. Therefore, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy regarding any communication or data transiting or stored on this system. At any time, and for any lawful Government purpose, the government may monitor, intercept, and search and seize any communication or data transiting or stored on this system.
- Any communication or data transiting or stored on this system may be disclosed or used for any lawful Government purpose.