Topics in Public Health: Health Disparities among AAPI Populations: An Overview and Examples in Cancer Health
January 20, 2023
This series will educate PHS health professionals about topics that are pertinent to their roles within the various agencies within the Department of Health and Human Services and other Public Health Service agencies by presenting topics that directly relate to the HHS Strategic Plan, the Secretary's Strategic Initiatives, current topics for DHHS OPDIVs who utilize PHS health professionals, and/or other topics directly related to the advancement of public health.
This presentation will provide an overview of health disparities and inequities in Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) populations, describe cancer burden and screening in AAPI populations, and discuss cervical cancer screening efforts in US-affiliated Pacific Islands.
- Health Care Disparities Among Asian, Native Hawaiian, and Other Pacific Islander (NHOPI) People, KFF, May 27, 2022. https://www.kff.org/racial-equity-and-health-policy/issue-brief/health-care-disparities-among-asian-native-hawaiian-and-other-pacific-islander-nhopi-people/
- Richard J. Lee, Ravi A. Madan, Jayoung Kim, Edwin M. Posadas, Evan Y. Yu, Disparities in Cancer Care and the Asian American Population, The Oncologist, Volume 26, Issue 6, June 2021, Pages 453–460, https://doi.org/10.1002/onco.13748
- Increase awareness of current topics in public health
- Help improve patient/public health outcomes
- Help participants modify their practice within their job or deployments
- Identify a couple of health disparity examples in AAPI populations
- Describe cancer burden and screening in AAPI populations
- Discuss health-related barriers and opportunities in AAPI populations
This activity is intended for physicians, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, nurses, This activity is intended for physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and and other public health medical professionals interested in learning more about the initiatives other advances in public health..
Lecture 1 January 20, 2023
|2:00 - 3:00 PM EST||Health Disparities among AAPI Populations: An Overview and Examples in Cancer Health||
Graydon Yatabe, MPH, RDN
Jin Qin, D.Sc, MS
Physicians, pharmacists, nurses, pharmacist techs, and those claiming non-physician CME: participants must attest to their attendance and complete the final activity evaluation via the CE Portal (ceportal.fda.gov). For multi-day activities, participants must attest to their attendance and complete the faculty evaluation each day. Final activity evaluations must be completed within two weeks after the activity - no exceptions.
Attention Pharmacists and Pharmacy Techs: Failure to provide your correct NABP AND Date of Birth information, in the required format, may result in the loss of credit for this activity. NABP profile number should be the 6-7 digit profile number assigned by the CPE Monitor and your birth date should be in the MMDD format (e.g. 0721) Do not provide your pharmacy license number. Please click the "My Account" tab and then navigate to "Edit Contact Information" to verify that your information is correct.
Attendees have 14 days from the last day of the activity to log in, complete the required evaluation(s) and attest to your attendance to claim credit.Physicians and nurses may then view/print statement of credit. Pharmacists should log into the CPE monitor 8 weeks after the last session of the activity to obtain their CE credit.
- Qin, Jin, D.Sc, MS, Epidemiologist, CDC - nothing to disclose
- Yatabe, Graydon, MPH, RDN, N/A, N/A - nothing to disclose
- BIRCH-SMITH, POSTELLE, PharmD, Lead CSO, FDA - nothing to disclose
- Brodhead, LeAnn, PharmD, Health Insurance Specialist, CMS - nothing to disclose
- Herber, Kari, RN, Regional Program Manager, Department of Homeland Security - nothing to disclose
- Janusziewicz, Ashlee, Pharm.D, Compounding Incidents Team Leader, FDA/CDER/OC/OUDLC - nothing to disclose
- La, Thang, PharmD, MPH, Central Triage Unit Manager, FDA/CDER/OSE/RSS - nothing to disclose
- McClain, Rena, PharmD, Health Insurance Specialist, CMS - nothing to disclose
- Nabavian, Sadaf, PharmD, Senior Regulatory Project Manager, FDA - nothing to disclose
- Radden, Erica, MD, Medical Officer, USPHS/DHS/USCG - nothing to disclose
CE Consultation and Accreditation Team
- Catherine Harrison, CE Consultant, FDA/CDER/OEP/DLOD - nothing to disclose
- Zawalick, Karen, CE Team Leader, FDA/CDER/OEP/DLOD - nothing to disclose
All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated.
Registration is complimentary, therefore refunds are not applicable.
- This warning banner provides privacy and security notices consistent with applicable federal laws, directives, and other federal guidance for accessing this Government system, which includes (1) this computer network, (2) all computers connected to this network, and (3) all devices and storage media attached to this network or to a computer on this network.
- This system is provided for Government-authorized use only.
- Unauthorized or improper use of this system is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action and/or civil and criminal penalties.
- Personal use of social media and networking sites on this system is limited as to not interfere with official work duties and is subject to monitoring.
- By using this system, you understand and consent to the following:
- The Government may monitor, record, and audit your system usage, including usage of personal devices and email systems for official duties or to conduct HHS business. Therefore, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy regarding any communication or data transiting or stored on this system. At any time, and for any lawful Government purpose, the government may monitor, intercept, and search and seize any communication or data transiting or stored on this system.
- Any communication or data transiting or stored on this system may be disclosed or used for any lawful Government purpose.